Vacancy -- Head Custodian, Harlech Castle, Cadw
Purpose of Post:
Along with our statutory responsibility to protect, preserve and promote the monuments in our care, Cadw is committed to deploying every feasible means to make our heritage sites enjoyable, relevant and stimulating places to visit.
This role is pivotal to achieving this commitment as the postholder will take the lead in managing Harlech Castle and its current team of six custodians, welcoming and engaging with visitors to ensure they have an enjoyable, informed and safe visit.
Harlech Castle has undergone a period of change: an exciting new visitor centre. along with catering facilities, high quality holiday appartments and innovative interpretation, is due to open in July 2015. This development provides an opportunity to increase visitor numbers and hugely enhance visitor enjoyment. The Head Custodian will play a vital role in communicating with visitors, the local community and stakeholders as well as Cadw Head Office staff and contractors to ensure the successful operation of this World Heritage Site.
- Welcoming the public and seeking to assist them in enjoying their visit, also maintaining the high standards of customer care and site presentation
- Providing information on historical background of the monument, the local area and Cadw in general.
- Managing the safety and security of the monument and its visitors, communicating with contractors, visitors and local stakeholders to ensure that issues arising are dealt with effectively.
- Managing the performance and development of a team of custodial staff in line with WG procedures, driving up performance and ensuring that all mandatory and job specific training is undertaken as appropriate.
- Organising the staffing rota for the monument to ensure maximum efficiency and taking account of value for money.
- Working closely with the appointed catering contractor and holiday letting contractor.
Developing the monument’s profile
- Assisting in the organisation and delivery of a varied events and activities programme to include custodian-led events, learning activities and arts-led events, working closely with head office teams to ensure effective on site delivery.
- Working with Cadw’s marketing department and actively carrying out PR and marketing campaigns in line with the marketing tool kit, to include managing and promoting the use of social media and producing press releases for the site.
- Building links with Communities First clusters and other local groups to increase local engagement with the monument, working with them to develop activities that appeal to new audiences and put the monument at the heart of the community.
- Building up a network of local contacts with businesses, tourism partners and representing Cadw at local tourism fora.
Income generation and financial management
- Generating income by selling admission tickets, a range of publications and souvenirs and seeking to maximise income from these sales.
- Managing stock including stock levels, ordering, counting and liaising closely with the Cadw sales team.
- Maintaining records and accounts and undertaking financial procedures as specified in the Welsh Government’s cash and accounting regulations.
- Completing monthly monument returns in line with WG financial guidelines.
- Implementing audit or governance guidance across all areas of the operation.
- Ensuring correct use of EPoS / Electronic tills, Psion terminals and PDQ Terminals (EFTpos payments).
N.B. In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the postholder will perform other duties assigned by the line manager from time to time.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
1. Strategic Cluster Setting Direction - Seeing the bigger picture
Develop understanding of how own and teams work supports achievement of Departmental priorities and delivery to the citizen
2. People Cluster Engaging People - Leading and Communicating
Display enthusiasm around goals and activities adopting a positive approach when interacting with others
3. Performance Cluster Delivering Results - Delivering Value for Money
Ensure that recognised control procedures and practices are maintained
4. Performance Cluster Delivering Results - Managing a Quality Service
Work with team to set priorities, create clear plans and manage all work to meet the needs of the customer and the business
Job Specific Criteria
- Experience in leading a team in a front-line, cash-based operation including financial and record keeping and cash controls.
- An understanding of retail practices, for example management, merchandising, promotions as well as knowledge of EPoS systems and psion terminals would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with external organisations and members of the public, preferably in a tourism, leisure or retail environment.
How to apply
This vacancy is closed to applications.