Vacancy -- Retail Manager
Purpose of Post:
Cadw is the Welsh Government’s historic environment service, working for an accessible and well-protected historic environment for Wales.
We do this by:
- helping to care for our historic environment for the benefit of people today and in the future
- promoting the development of the skills that are needed to look after our historic environment properly
- helping people to cherish and enjoy our historic environment
- making our historic environment work for our economic well-being
- working with partners to achieve our common goals together
This role reports to Senior Commercial Manager in the Business Development and Marketing branch and has responsibility for managing a small team of staff. The role will lead on all retail matters within Cadw, developing an improved and more profitable offer to ensure the goods and services Cadw provides are commercially viable and all systems are complaint and efficient.
The post holder will oversee the team in operation of retail across all sites, including all sales analysis, logistics of stock control and financial reports and will devise and implement a retail strategy for Cadw.
This role will take responsibility for growing retail income for Cadw by at least 5% year on year in line with organisational targets. The post will also play an integral part in the implementation of the new EPoS system planned for 2021 and will liaise closely with the project manager to reflect retail needs.
- Managing the development and procurement of goods for resale at Cadw’s 24 staffed sites
- Monitoring £1m budget spend and issuing spend forecasts, target to generate £2.1 million.
- Leading and coaching a small team to ensure that day to day operations are delivered effectively, prioritising workloads and supporting staff with learning and development needs.
- Undertaking procurement exercises in line with organisational processes, contract management (EPoS system) and supporting tenders for suppliers and managing contracts to ensure they meet outcomes.
- Working closely and effectively with site-based colleagues to increase their skills and knowledge of merchandising in order to improve presentation and increase sales.
- Overseeing visual merchandising guides to ensure all outlets are presented with consistency and quality, developing systems to monitor and improve.
- Managing and delivering new income generating activities such as pop up shops, new ranges e.g. Christmas range, online shop functionality, high end Heritage Collection range, vending machines and coffee machines.
- Meeting with suppliers, reviewing ranges, terms, developing new products and responding to product trends.
- Ensuring that Cadw’s retail offer responds to customers’ needs by keeping up with sector trends.
- Managing new online offer and assessing systems and processes to maximise income.
- Contributing to specific projects, ongoing review and improvement of current EPoS system functions and development of new EPoS system, and implementation of a Retail Strategy.
- Producing management reports for Cadw’s senior management team, analysing data for accurate planning, report on RoI, regular monitoring and adapting of plans to ensure income targets are reached.
Cadw encourages staff to pursue opportunities for continuous professional development as well as supporting specific learning and development activities linked to business needs.
This is an opportunity for someone with strong retail knowledge and skills to gain unique experience in the heritage /cultural sector delivering across multiple sites, nation-wide, working with varied departments within government.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes - Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a wide range of delivery options when making commercial decisions.
- Changing and Improving - Find ways to improve systems and structures to deliver with more streamlined resources.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Be alert to emerging issues and trends which might impact or benefit own and team’s work.
- Making Effective Decisions - Invite challenge and where appropriate involve others in decision making to help build engagement and present robust recommendations.
Job Specific Criteria
- Thorough working knowledge of retail operations, preferably within the heritage / cultural sector.
- Skilled retail manager with strong commercial acumen and ability to grow income across the estate.
- Ability to confidently evaluate commercial proposals and agreements, develop creative solutions and put them into practice.
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for internal Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.