Vacancy -- Grade 7 Multiple Roles - Other Government Department Loan Opportunity (open)
Working for the Civil Service
The Welsh Government's recruitment processes are underpinned by the principle of selection for appointment on merit on the basis of fair and open competition as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s Recruitment Principles.
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
Purpose of Post:
We are keen to utilise the expertise of staff across the Civil Service to make a practical, positive impact during these unprecedented times.
Our Grade 7 provides an essential leadership role in the Welsh Government. We are all driven by the values set out in the Civil Service Code: integrity, objectivity, honesty and impartiality. In addition to the code we have our own values and expectations which encapsulate our 'Welsh way' of working, reflecting the ambitions set out in the Well-being of Future Generations Act.
We have a range of priority roles that need to be filled which require a broad range of skills and experience. The roles are available within our Health and Social Services (HSS) Group, Economy, Skills and Natural Resources (ES&NR) Group, Education and Public Services Group (EPS), and Permanent Secretary’s Group (PSG).
Successful candidates will be matched into priority posts. In applying for one of these roles therefore, you are agreeing to move into a post that is deemed most appropriate from the information you provide.
What the organisation will expect
- You will have the ability to work under pressure, be flexible, proactive and self-motivated. You will have the ambition to lead and motivate a team to successfully deliver within a challenging, pressured and fast-paced environment.
- You will be able to take an innovative approach, looking for opportunities to do things differently and responsive enough to adapt and develop new options as things change.
- As an effective Civil Servant, you will have an understanding of the political landscape and the role that Ministers play in setting the agenda for your business area; an understanding of how to get things done with regard to governance and financial management processes; an ability to manage risk, making informed decisions with little or no guidance; and be able to clearly communicate at all levels, including with senior stakeholders and Ministers.
What your team will expect
- You will value diversity and inclusion, creating an environment where individuals feel safe to challenge, share ideas and express concerns.
- You will be a role model, who is able to motivate and inspire others, establish a vision and bring others on board, providing clear direction and priorities for the team, ensuring that every member understands their contribution to achieving objectives, and feel capable of fulfilling their role.
- You will support the development of others, demonstrating an understanding of the importance of learning, planning for and providing opportunities and encouragement for individuals to develop, as well as investing time for your own development.
What key stakeholders will expect
- You will be able to use sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide credible advice and guidance to both internal and external stakeholders.
- You will understand the importance of building and maintaining constructive relationships, both within and outside Welsh Government. You will have strong influencing skills and the ability to build collaborative relationships that both challenge with support, and build trust and mutual respect across organisational boundaries.
- You will be able to use creative thoughts to develop recommendations, and take advantage of opportunities to work collaboratively across boundaries.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government is a bilingual organisation and Welsh language skills are considered an asset to the organisation. We encourage and support staff to learn, develop and use their Welsh language skills in the workplace.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
In Welsh Government, the relationship between the employer and trade unions is based on social partnership. We believe our goals can best be achieved by management and trade unions working together.
Our 3 recognised trade unions are:
This relationship is underpinned by a partnership agreement. This sets out how our unions work with Welsh Government on issues such as:
• terms and conditions
• policies and procedures
• organisational change.
Our Welsh Government trade union colleagues work together to give their members a real say in the workplace. They make sure that the interests of their members are promoted and protected. They also help reduce inequalities and improve terms and conditions.
The Welsh Government has an excellent track record of working in partnership with its trade unions. We encourage staff to get involved. We support you to join a recognised trade union, to ensure your voice is heard in the workplace. and to learn more about trade unions and partnership working.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
Please see the candidate pack.
Our OGD adverts are going to be running until we have filled all vacant roles. Therefore there won’t be a closing date and applications will be sifted and appointed as they come in. Once we are close to filling all our vacant posts we will contact all candidates who have started an application to notify you that the advert will be closing in two weeks from the email date.
Postings and Terms and Conditions:
- The inward loan opportunities are only open to current Civil Servants (on a loan only basis).
- Roles are available for either short-term opportunities (6-12 months) or longer term opportunities (up to a maximum of 2 years).
- You are not expected to gain a permanent transfer across to the Welsh Government.
- All roles are available at substantive grade and lateral transfer only.
- Temporary promotion or permanent promotion opportunities are not available through this opportunity, however, many of the roles will offer the opportunity to gain valuable experience, broaden networks and learn new skills.
- We will make every effort to match you to a role based on the evidence you provide in your application form.
- We cannot guarantee you will be offered a post or a particular post.
- If you are successfully matched to a role, you will move under formal Inward Loan arrangements, i.e. you will move onto the Welsh Government’s Terms and Conditions.
- Your current substantive salary will be matched to the nearest pay point within the grade pay band, with no detriment https://gov.wales/welsh-government-civil-service-pay-and-benefits
- You need to have your line management and employer’s agreement to release you if you were successful in your application. Unfortunately if you do not have their agreement, your application will be rejected as we are unable to consider it. This is because you will be expected to take up post quickly once you have been matched to a post.
- We would welcome applications from individuals from across the different professions and those with specialist or general skills.
- We particularly welcome applications from Black and Minority Ethnic and disabled people and are committed to supporting all staff to thrive in an inclusive working environment.
- We are supportive of home working and tailoring patterns to individual circumstances. In the short term, the majority of post holders will be based at home/working remotely.
- Whilst Welsh language skills are not an essential requirement for the selection process for this campaign, we encourage applications from individuals who are able to work bilingually.
- As this a loan opportunity, please keep in mind that if the post comes to an end, you will be expected to return to your existing organisation.
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system.
To apply for an inward loan opportunity, you'll need to prepare a Lateral Moves CV template. If this is not completed and/or submitted, the application will not be considered.
In the lateral moves CV application, you will be required to provide 500 words against the following:
- Tell us about a time when you have provided leadership and direction to staff to ensure effective delivery. What was the impact and outcome?
You will also required to state your skills and experience, a brief career history as well as your preference for Group/Department and core priority work area.
Further information about the opportunities and the stages of the selection and matching process can be found in the attached candidate pack.
If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail HRTransitionTeam@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
**Please note: If you already have an Appoint account and would like to update your username and e-mail address to the new @gov.wales address, simply log in using your old details, click on your name in the menu bar, and select ‘Edit Personal Details’ in the dropdown list. You can update any of your registered personal details on this page.**
This vacancy is closed to applications.