Vacancy -- Content Designer
Purpose of Post:
The Welsh Government is the devolved government for Wales with an annual budget of around £15 billion. It is responsible for key aspects of public life in Wales including health, education, the economy, transport, agriculture and the environment.
Welsh Ministers are supported by a workforce of more than 5,000 civil servants with offices in Wales, London, Brussels and overseas.
Welsh Government priorities are outlined in Taking Wales Forward with an overall ambition to build a Wales which is self-confident, prosperous, healthy nation and a society which is fair to all. The Welsh Government has also set out clear priorities for Wales following the UK’s exit from the European Union.
The Welsh Government is looking to attract people who can provide excellent support and advice, can focus resources and have energy and expertise. The Well Being and Future Generations Act provides context for our work.
Digital transformation of public services is vital to delivering the services the people of Wales expect and need. Welsh Government currently delivers a number of digital services to people and business across Wales. We also provide information on our websites.
Led by our Chief Digital Officer, the Welsh Government is increasingly delivering more services online. The Chief Digital Officer provides a consultancy service of digital and data expertise across Welsh Government.
Learning in Digital Wales
Learning in Digital Wales is the Welsh Government programme of action for improving the use of digital technology for learning and teaching. This pivotal education programme provides stakeholders across Wales with consistent access to a wide range of centrally-funded, bilingual digital tools and resources that can support and assist the transformation of digital education practices.
We’re looking for a great content designer to join our team.
You will work in a small team of content specialists, who manage the quality of our digital content on GOV.WALES and Hwb. You will also work closely with colleagues in the wider digital team and across the organisation.
You will be a skilled editor with excellent attention to detail. You will know how to identify user needs and write simply and clearly to meet them. You will also have the confidence to champion high-quality content within the organisation.
- Design and write content for GOV.WALES and Hwb
- Ensure content is user-focused and consistently meets publishing standards
- Organise, structure and label complex bodies of information into evidence-based, user-friendly information hierarchies
- Review, edit and publish content to strict deadlines using content management systems
- Work with subject matter experts to ensure published content is continuously kept up to date or archived when no longer required.
- Work with colleagues to co-ordinate digital content production
- Produce and publish content for our digital channels and evaluate the impact
- Provide specialist advice to staff across the department on using digital communication channels effectively to support business objectives
- Develop excellent working relationships across the department
We are committed to developing the skills and capability of our staff and encouraging them to use five days of learning a year. To support this we offer a range of opportunities which could include:
• Work based learning
• Short Term Experience Programme (STEP)
• Proactively making links and working with a wide range of Welsh Government teams and external partners including other Governments in the UK.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
As part of your application, please prepare a personal statement that outlines how you meet the following ESSENTIAL requirements for the role. Your personal statement should be no more than 2 sides of A4.
To be successful for this role you will be:
• Able to communicate with stakeholders clearly and regularly, clarifying mutual needs and commitments through consultation and consideration of impacts whilst focusing on user needs (Stakeholder relationship management).
• Able to have an overall perspective on business issues, events, activities and an understanding of their wider implications and long-term impact (Strategic thinking).
• Able to design content to meet user needs and make complex language and processes easy to understand (User-centred content design)
• Able to collate, understand and use data about users to propose design approaches to meet user needs (User focus).
The following technical skills are also ESSENTIAL for success in this role. Please ensure you attach a CV which demonstrates your ability in relation to these skills.
• Over two years editorial experience with proven ability to create user-centred content
• Experience of working with stakeholders and using your negotiating and influencing skills to get results
• Experience of working with content publishing systems and a style guide
Additional evidence MAY be provided against ANY of the following DESIRABLE job specific capabilities (and will be used to distinguish between candidates assessed at a similar level). Please include this evidence in your CV.
• We are looking for someone with strong editorial skills and ideally GOV.UK experience.
To apply for this role you will be asked to attach the following:
- A Personal Statement of suitability explaining how your experience and skills provide evidence against the essential requirements of the role. Your Personal Statement should be no more than two sides of A4.
- An up to date CV including evidence of the essential technical skills and any desirable job specific capabilities where applicable.
If you are successful at the sifting stage, you will be invited to interview. The interview will focus on your skills and experience in relation to the essential requirements of the role. We may also include a test or assessment if appropriate.
Following the interview, if successful, we may keep your details for up to 12 months on a reserve list should other similar posts become available.
PLEASE NOTE: It is important that you do attach both of these documents (both the Personal Statement and CV) in your online application to be considered for this role.
Interviews are expected to take place by 15/03/2019
The Welsh Government offers a variety of employee benefits, including:
• Flexible hours
• Flexible working
• Support for improving or gaining Welsh language skills
• Regular development discussions and the training you need to grow your role
• Annual pay increments: progress to the top of your pay scale within 3 - 4 years
• 31 days annual leave, plus 10 public and privilege holidays Generous parental leave
• Generous pension scheme with employer contributions
• Childcare Vouchers Scheme, saving up to £933 / year
• Cycle to Work Scheme: choose a brand new bike up to £1000, saving at least 32%
• Salary Advances: request an advance for Christmas, ICT equipment or tenancy deposits
• Season Ticket Loans
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.