Vacancy -- Regulation Manager
To be confirmed
Purpose of Post:
- Establish and maintain a business relationship with each Housing Association, understanding the risks facing Associations and gaining assurances about how those risks are mitigated
- Deliver effective and credible regulation in accordance with the Regulatory Framework for Housing Associations registered in Wales 2011
- Collate and analyse evidence and observational data/intelligence gathered from a variety of Housing Association sources to produce an annual published regulatory opinion about each member of the portfolio.
- Together with specialist finance analysts, review the financial viability and solvency of Housing Associations in Wales; through analysis of management accounts, business plans and other related financial statements and information
- Support Housing Associations to improve continuously and fulfil the requirements of the Regulatory Framework.
- Collaborate with senior members of the Regulation team to intervene appropriately in Housing Associations who are unable to address significant shortcomings themselves.
- Actively participate in liaison with stakeholders to the Social Housing Sector in Wales; including Tenant representative organisations, Local Authorities and the Regulation Board for Wales and its infrastructure
- Respond to requests for Ministerial Briefing on Regulation
- Establish and maintain effective record keeping systems to capture information gathered.
- To act as an ambassador for the Housing Regulation Team, representing the Welsh Government to the housing sector and its key partners
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with competencies relating to this grade.
This opportunity offers excellent exposure to working directly on a day to day basis with Chief Executives and Chairs of Housing Association Boards to understand business at the highest level. You will develop your expertise on governance, a key skill area for those looking to strengthen their leadership credentials. This role works with multiple external stakeholder groups and there are significant collaboration opportunities with other business and the third sector.
Debbie Green, Chief Executive of Coastal Housing endorses the value of this secondment to her business.
This role involves delivery at pace and is a demanding, dynamic and varied.
Welsh Government accepts the social definition of disability, in which it is recognised that barriers in society act to disable people who have impairments or health conditions or who use British Sign Language. We are committed to removing barriers so that all (or potential new staff) can perform at their best. The Equality Act 2010 uses the medical definition of disability (“a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term impact on a person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities”).
We guarantee to interview anyone who is disabled whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence in your application which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence for the role and any qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential. We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people.
If you have an impairment or health condition, or use British Sign Language and need to discuss reasonable adjustments for any part of this recruitment process, or wish to discuss how we will support you if you were to be successful, please email SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales as soon as possible and a member of the team will contact you to discuss your requirements and any questions you may have.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government is a bilingual organisation and Welsh language skills are considered an asset to the organisation. We encourage and support staff to learn, develop and use their Welsh language skills in the workplace.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
Making Effective Decision - Make decisions when they are needed, even if they prove difficult or unpopular
Leading and Communicating - Communicate in a straightforward, honest and engaging manner with all stakeholders and stand ground when needed
Collaborating and Partnering - Establish relationships with a range of stakeholders to support delivery of business outcomes
Delivering Results - Show a positive approach in keeping their own and the team’s efforts focused on the goals that really matter
1. Working with Stakeholders
2. Project Management
3. Financial understanding and understanding of Housing Association business
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@wales.gsi.gov.uk to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.