Vacancy -- Chair of Wales Funding Committee - National Lottery Community Fund
Function of body
The National Lottery Community Fund is established as a non-departmental public body by an Act of Parliament. The Board is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the Fund, as set out in its Strategic Framework, People in the Lead and for the Fund’s governance.
Funding decisions are delegated to five funding committees (UK, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales), Executive Officers, and at times expert committees, with the Board retaining strategic oversight for delivery of the Fund’s strategic framework: People in the Lead, and governance responsibility.
Policy responsibility for The National Lottery Community Fund, including setting policy directions, rests with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and devolved administrations in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Policy responsibility for The National Lottery Community Fund in Wales including setting policy directions, rests with The Welsh Government.
Further information about the Fund’s Strategic Framework People in the Lead and its programmes can be found on our website.
- Agree the strategic direction of the portfolio to deliver People in the Lead in Wales in conjunction with the committee and executive team.
- Ensure the Board is engaged and aware of key issues and opportunities which impacts the Fund's work in Wales.
- Bring insight and perspective to the executive to continually improve The Fund's
- impact through world class funding approaches.
- Ensure that programme and funding decisions fit within the Fund’s accountability framework, advised by the executive.
- Shape and sustain a group of diverse and high-quality committee members that has appropriate knowledge and understanding of community and public life across Wales.
- Ensure that the committee individually and collectively operates to the highest standards and performance.
- Oversee decisions on major funding applications directly or through specialist committees.
- Review and reflect on the shape and development of the Wales portfolio,
- Act as an ambassador for The National Lottery Community Fund in Wales and at times the UK.
- Find out more about the current Wales committee members on our website here.
Welsh language skills
All candidates will need to demonstrate in their application that they meet the majority of following essential criteria to a high standard:
- An appropriate understanding of the Voluntary Community and Social Enterprise sector in Wales and the ability to engage with senior stakeholders therein along with senior stakeholders in the public and private sectors.
- Experience of charitable and community funding.
- Extensive experience of operating as a non-executive, and ability to operate as a Chair
- An understanding of portfolio management, funding decision-making and oversight at a senior level.
- First class communication and inter-personal skills with the ability to challenge constructively.
- A commitment to improve diversity and inclusion.
- An understanding of the importance of the Welsh language and the relevant legislative requirements.
- Exposure to decision-making in a funding portfolio of comparable scale
- A commitment to the principles of corporate governance, regularity and accountability with regards to NDPBs.
How to apply
This vacancy is closed to applications.