Vacancy -- Members (3) - S4C
Function of body
The S4C Board consists of the Chair and up to eight other members, each appointed by the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. Members bring varying skills and experience to the Board, though they are all expected to ensure that S4C fulfils its public service remit and that public and licence fee funds allocated to S4C are properly utilised.
Board Members will also be required to ensure that S4C’s public services are provided in accordance both with S4C’s statutory remit and the provisions of the current Partnership Agreement agreed between S4C and the BBC.
Board Members are expected to:
- Function collectively as the unitary board of S4C and provide support and advice, and also ensure appropriate challenge to and accountability of the Chief Executive and his executive team.
- Support the Chair, in liaison with the Chief Executive, in overseeing the relationship with DCMS, the BBC, Ofcom and other stakeholders including the Welsh Government and the independent production sector.
- Undertake public engagement duties as necessary on behalf of S4C including public meetings and functions across Wales.
- Attend Board meetings and any special meetings/awaydays, and attending sub-committees of the Board as necessary.
Welsh language skills
The Board seeks to ensure that its members, between them, are able to draw on a wide range of expertise and knowledge of particular fields relevant to the work of S4C. These include, but are not restricted to:
- Broadcasting, digital media and the wider creative industries
- Welsh language
- Communications and marketing
- Business and commerce
- Finance, audit and assurance
Following the independent review of S4C published in March 2018, the governance of S4C is now based on a Unitary Board model (in place of the previous non-exec Authority Board). Until primary legislation is introduced to facilitate a number of elements of the proposed structure, the Board shall operate as a Shadow Unitary Board in accordance with the Board’s new Standing Orders. The appointed Members are expected to continue in their roles when the statutory board is constituted.
How to apply
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
● A CV of not more than two sides of A4; and
● A supporting statement of not more than three sides of A4, providing examples and setting out how you meet the criteria
Please put ‘S4C Member’ in the Subject line. If you would like to speak to someone about the application and appointment process, please contact Phil Hodges at DCMS, on 020 7211 2898 (email address: email@example.com).
To talk to someone about S4C and its Board, please contact Owain Lloyd, Board Secretary at S4C (Owain.Lloyd@s4c.cymru).
Further information can be found on the S4C’s website at http://www.s4c.cymru/en/
Disability Confident We guarantee to interview anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the role. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide evidence in your application which demonstrates that you meet the level of competence required under each of the essential criteria. If you wish to apply under this scheme, please state this in the covering email or letter when submitting your application. Reasonable adjustments If you would like a confidential discussion regarding any reasonable adjustments during the process, please also indicate this in the covering email or letter.
This vacancy is closed to applications.