Vacancy -- Undergraduate Student Placement
Purpose of Post:
The Innovation team within the Welsh Government offers help and support to innovative businesses in Wales. Innovation can help businesses become more competitive, increase sales and enter new markets. Your role will be to raise awareness of the available Innovation support and funding and to help the team deliver against the commitments outlined in the Innovation Wales strategy document.
For information on the Innovation strategy please visit: https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2019-04/innovation-wales-strategy.pdf for more information on the support the Innovation team offers, please visit: https://businesswales.gov.wales/zones/innovation
- Work with partners and contractors to promote the strategies of the department including delivering against commitments under our EU funded programmes.
- Assist the teams and partners in the organisation and delivery of specialist events and activities within Wales for organisations and young people.
- Support the development and delivery of content for the team’s website and its social media channels.
- Assisting in the research, drafting and proofing of copy for web, e-newsletters, publications and reports.
- Working with external suppliers of contracts for the delivery of services including hard copy and video case studies.
- To provide administrative support for the teams including maintaining project spreadsheets, overseeing procurement tasks and updating financial records.
Developmental opportunities available to the student;
- To work with government and directly contribute to a national strategy
- To influence and engage with young people and innovative businesses and the organisations that work with them
- To build high level communication skills and networks
- It offers excellent opportunities for the student to gain broad experience in all aspects of business/ in particular project management, communication and team working.
- The student has the opportunity for out of office duties, working on a wide variety of projects in particular benefiting from attendance at a range of events throughout Wales.
Welsh Government accepts the social definition of disability, in which it is recognised that barriers in society act to disable people who have impairments or health conditions or who use British Sign Language. We are committed to removing barriers so that all (or potential new staff) can perform at their best. The Equality Act 2010 uses the medical definition of disability (“a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term impact on a person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities”).
We guarantee to interview anyone who is disabled whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence in your application which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence for the role and any qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential. We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people.
If you have an impairment or health condition, or use British Sign Language and need to discuss reasonable adjustments for any part of this recruitment process, or wish to discuss how we will support you if you were to be successful, please email SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales as soon as possible and a member of the team will contact you to discuss your requirements and any questions you may have.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government is a bilingual organisation and Welsh language skills are considered an asset to the organisation. We encourage and support staff to learn, develop and use their Welsh language skills in the workplace.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competency behaviours required for the role
Job specific criteria
The placements would suit someone with an interest in innovation and entrepreneurship, or a student interested in starting their own business.
As part of the application procedure, you will need to upload your C.V. and a personal statement.
In the personal statement you should provide evidence to say how you
Meet each of the key skills and job specific criteria required:
- Gather information from a range of relevant sources inside and outside my Department to inform own work
- Think through the implications of own decisions before confirming how to approach a problem/issue
- Seek help when needed in order to complete own work effectively.
- Learn about customers and suppliers needs
- Job Specific 1
- Job Specific 2
- Job Specific 3
As a guide, we recommend that you use the key skills and job specific criteria as headings, and aim to write around 250 to 300 words in each section. Your application will be considered for both posts, if you have a preference please specify, however we cannot guarantee if you are successful at interview you will be offered your preferred choice
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.