Vacancy -- UX Designer
Purpose of Post:
This is an exciting time to join the Welsh Government as we modernise our development of online services.
As a UX Designer, you will take complex tasks and processes and transform them into intuitive, accessible, and easy-to-use designs for everyone from first-time users to experts.
You will help ensure that the Welsh Government makes the most of its websites and online services and have the opportunity to test them with users.
- Follow a User Centred Design approach to understand user needs and explore solutions
- Design effective components, patterns, layouts and user journeys for a range of online services
- Create and rapidly iterate interactive prototypes using both code and design tools
- Participate in user research and usability testing activities
- Provide advice to clients on user experience and information architecture best practice
- Work in a team environment to the Interaction Design Team’s processes and methodologies
- Offer creative advice and practical ideas for improving existing websites and digital services
Welsh Government accepts the social definition of disability, in which it is recognised that barriers in society act to disable people who have impairments or health conditions or who use British Sign Language. We are committed to removing barriers so that all (or potential new staff) can perform at their best. The Equality Act 2010 uses the medical definition of disability (“a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term impact on a person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities”).
We guarantee to interview anyone who is disabled whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence in your application which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence for the role and any qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential. We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people.
If you have an impairment or health condition, or use British Sign Language and need to discuss reasonable adjustments for any part of this recruitment process, or wish to discuss how we will support you if you were to be successful, please email SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales as soon as possible and a member of the team will contact you to discuss your requirements and any questions you may have.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government is a bilingual organisation and Welsh language skills are considered an asset to the organisation. We encourage and support staff to learn, develop and use their Welsh language skills in the workplace.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
1. User focus: You know how to collaborate with user researchers and can represent users internally. You understand the difference between user needs and the desires of the user. You can champion user research to focus on all users. You can prioritise and define approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so. You can offer recommendations on the best tools and methods to be used.
2. Making Effective Decisions: Recognise patterns and trends in a wide range of evidence/data and draw key conclusions, outlining costs, benefits, risks and potential responses
3. Digital perspective. You are responsive to changes in technology, adapting your approach accordingly. You can make decisions to meet user needs in the government context. You understand the importance of assisted digital and can design services and make decisions to meet users needs.
4. Leading and communicating:Communicate in a straightforward, honest and engaging manner with all stakeholders and stand ground when needed.
1. Demonstrable track record in designing online services and/or sites following a User Centred Design approach. Please provide examples and include urls to evidence this.
2. Proficiency and experience in creating prototypes by hand coding and with design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, and Axure. Please provide examples and include urls to evidence this.
3. Experience of discovering, analysing and understanding user behaviour in relation to websites through methods, activities, or tools. Please provide examples and include urls to evidence this.
Applicants who are successful at the sift stage will progress to the interview stage. At the interview a laptop will be available for applicants to visually support their evidence in answer to the interview questions.
As part of the interview process, applicants will be asked to give a 10 minute presentation which will assess the first job specific criteria. The presentation topic will be confirmed in the invitation to interview.
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.