Vacancy -- Finance Graduate Trainees
Purpose of Post:
Finance within Welsh Government is responsible for the delivery of Finance and Accounting Services, including advice on complex accounting matters, the handling of high profile financial issues, and the preparation of Financial accounts both at Department and on a consolidated basis.
Welsh Government Trainee Accountants will work to a senior qualified accountant responsible within the Central team or the Internal audit team.
Trainee accountants will be allocated to placements in accordance with the development needs of the individual and the business needs of the organisation. It is likely that the training will be split into four periods within which there could to be a period of 6 months undertaking a placement in another public sector organisation
Trainee Accountants will work under the overall supervision of one of the Heads of Finance.
- To provide and contribute to the Finance, Accounting or audit work within a Finance team;
- To assist in the monitoring and reconciliation of accounts;
- To assist the team in ensuring it is responsive to customer/client needs and changing circumstances;
- To undertake such investigations, tasks and projects as are specified by a Senior Accountant or Deputy Director which are commensurate with the level of Trainee or Accountant;
- To provide support to colleagues within the department as requested by the Senior Accountant or Deputy Director.
Our graduate finance training scheme provides a unique development opportunity for bright and talented graduates who are adaptable, ambitious and passionate about making a difference to people's lives and wishing to pursue a career within the Welsh Civil Service.
WG is offering a fully-funded development programme, leading to professional qualification through the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants(ACCA). Providing an opportunity to work as part of a highly skilled group of financial professionals in the public sector where the chance to develop skills and knowledge is excellent.
Your training will be through several work placements across the key areas of finance, undertaking work that is core to implementing WG’s vision. We are recruiting 6 new graduates to join a strong group of existing graduates responsible for a mixture of general finance duties and specialist project work, as well as having plenty of opportunity to develop management and leadership skills.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
- Making Effective Decisions - Examine complex information and obtain further information to make accurate decisions.
- Collaborating and Partnering - Listen attentively to others and check their understanding by asking questions.
- Leading and Communicating - Express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, and with sensitivity and respect for others.
- Managing a Quality Service – Ensure delivery of professional excellence and expertise.
Job Specific Criteria
- Ability to apply financial standards to complex financial and budgetary issues and with strong numeracy skills.
- Demonstrate drive and commitment to managing working in a fast-paced challenging Environment whilst studying to become a chartered public sector financial accountant.
- Must have a minimum of a 2:1 honours degree although this does not have to be in Finance and Accounting.
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)