Vacancy -- Welsh Revenue Authority - Finance Officer x5
Purpose of Post:
The Welsh Revenue Authority (WRA) is looking for five Finance Officers to fill key roles, undertaking the finance processes within WRA to ensure that all payments and receipts are processed efficiently and promptly and that set targets are achieved. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to provide support to the Senior Finance Managers for both the Tax Finance and Corporate Finance systems within the Branch.
If successful, you could expect to join an exciting, new organisation. Established in October 2017 as the Welsh Government’s first non-ministerial department, the WRA will operationalise its newly devolved powers to collect the first Welsh taxes in 800 years – Land Transaction Tax and Land Disposal Tax – generating the income to fund our Welsh public services directly. Since the team you are joining is new, the successful candidates will have a unique opportunity to be part of the creation of new systems and processes, but one that will require flexibility and an eye for solutions.
Tasks which the successful candidates are likely to undertake include:
- Entry of Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) documents on to the finance system within 1 day of receipt.
- Matching of AP invoices against Purchase Order receipts on the finance system within 1 day of receipt.
- Preparation of daily bank reconciliations.
- Preparation of files for payment journal uploads.
- Timely processing of cash and cheque receipts and the allocation of these on to the finance system.
- Assist managers in the management of unallocated cash.
- Assist managers in dealing with Audit requests
- Provide support to managers on the Vendor and Customer Maintenance process.
- Timely processing of all homeless invoices ensuring that the query is raised with supplier and/or authorising division on the day that it is received.
- Issue of invoices and dunning reminders to customers.
- Issue remittance advice slips to vendors.
- Management of all documentation received and distributed on the day that it is received.
- Ensure that all financial documents are scanned, stored and filed in accordance with WRA and Wales Audit Office requirements.
- General office duties relating to all processes within the WRA finance branch.
- Provide administrative support to the Management Accountant, Debt Manager and Bank Reconciliation Manager as and when required.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly VAT returns
- Assist in the cash flow forecasting requirements of the business.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain practical accounting exposure and, for those without an existing qualification, there is the opportunity to gain a fully funded AAT qualification.
The successful candidates will be given full support to progress their career within the Government Finance Profession.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
- Setting Direction – Making Effective Decisions - Speak with the relevant people in order to obtain the most accurate information and get advice when unsure of how to proceed.
- Engaging People - Collaborating and Partnering - Actively encourage team working, changing ways of working to facilitate collaboration for the benefit of the team’s work.
- Delivering Results - Delivering Value for Money - Ensure that recognised control procedures and practices are maintained.
- Delivering Results – Delivering at Pace - Create regular reviews of what and who is required to make a project/activity successful and make ongoing improvements.
Job Specific Criteria
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work flexibly across the finance function to deliver finance team objectives.
- Able to prioritise and to work under pressure at busy times with a high level of accuracy.
- AAT qualified, or willing to train towards AAT qualification.
Terms of Appointment
The post is available on a permanent basis.
During the implementation stages of the Welsh Revenue Authority (WRA) the Welsh Government is recruiting to a number of posts on behalf of this new non ministerial department.
Whilst the Terms and Conditions of the Welsh Revenue Authority are still being confirmed, it is anticipated that they will follow those of the Welsh Government.
In accordance with part 2 of the Tax Collection and Management (Wales) Act 2016, all WRA staff are required to sign a Declaration of Confidentiality in relation to personal taxpayer information.
What we offer:
The WRA offers a variety of benefits, including:
• Chance to shape the beginnings of a new, bilingual organisation
• Support for improving or gaining Welsh language skills for all employees
• Frequent development discussions and the training you need for your role and to grow
• Annual pay increments, allowing you to progress to the top of your pay scale within 3-4 years
• 31 days annual leave, plus a day for Christmas and the Queen’s Birthday
• Generous parental leave, including 26 weeks at full pay for qualifying employees
• Generous pension scheme with employer contributions
• Childcare Vouchers Scheme, saving up to £933/year
• Cycle to Work Scheme: choose a brand new bike up to £1000, saving at least 32%
• Advances of Salary: request advances for Christmas, computer equipment or Tenancy Deposits
• Season Ticket Loans
• Flexitime policy
• Convenient location off the M4 with free, on site parking (available on a first come first served basis)
- An accountancy allowance may be payable to a suitable candidate.
For further information on the WRA and the two devolved taxes please visit the Welsh Revenue Authority website: https://beta.gov.wales/welsh-revenue-authority
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government's online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@wales.gsi.gov.uk to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you'll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the 'Apply' button below, and you'll be asked to 'Log in' if you already have an account, or 'Register' if you don't yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You'll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you've registered for an account and logged in, you'll be taken to the online application form, which you'll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)
This vacancy is closed to applications.